Patient education is an integral part of our mission, helping to engage and empower patients to improve their health.
We offer patient education videos and health classes and wellness programs on a broad range of topics. We also have established special programs for needs such as asthma management.
We believe it is our responsibility not only to treat illness but also to keep people as healthy as possible.
Patient education videos
Mass General Brigham works with providers (like doctors and nurses, among others) to create videos designed to educate patients and their families.
These videos are for patients and their friends and families. These videos are not a substitute for your care team. If you have a specific question related to your own behavioral health needs, please contact your care team.
Back Pain: Causes, Diagnosis, Tips, and Staying Healthy
Why is back pain so common? What are the causes of back pain? How do you diagnose back pain? Zacharia Isaac, M.D., Chief, Spine Care, Pain Management, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, offers tips for anyone experiencing back pain.
For answers to more common questions, please subscribe and visit us on YouTube.
- Alcohol and women
- Alcohol use disorder
- Anorexia nervosa: Causes, effects on the brain, and recovery
- Anorexia nervosa: Effects on the brain and body
- Anxiety disorder: Different types, symptoms, and treatment options
- Anxiety disorder: Symptoms, history, and today's treatments
- Arthritis and joint replacement
- Back pain
- Binge eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder: History, treatments, and new studies
- Bipolar disorder: Signs, symptoms, different types, and more
- Bulimia nervosa: Causes, health effects, and treatment
- Bulimia nervosa: Common signs, psychological symptoms, and treatment
- Cervical cancer
- Chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear (CBRN) safety (Що робити після небезпечної атаки: Хімічна, Біологічна, Радіаційна, Ядерна безпека)
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Coronary artery disease: Prevention options
- Coronary artery disease: Signs, causes, and prevention options
- COVID-19 vaccine
- COVID-19 updates: Vaccine safety, prevention, and treatment options
- Crohn's disease
- Crohn's disease and pregnancy
- Cystic fibrosis
- Disc herniation & back pain
- Down syndrome
- Epilepsy and pregnancy
- Gestational diabetes
- Hemodialysis: Kidney failure: Signs, dialysis options
- Hemodialysis: Types of accesses for kidney dialysis and how to stay healthy
- Hemorrhagic stroke: Causes, symptoms, risk factors, and treatments
- Hepatitis C
- HIV: Exposure, prevention, and treatment options
- HIV/AIDS: Facts & misconceptions you should know
- HIV/AIDS: Treatment and the search for a cure
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Hypertension in pregnancy
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Diagnosis, treatment advancements, and more
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Symptoms, treatment, and prevention
- Insulin resistance
- Kidney stones: Causes, symptoms, treatment, and prevention
- Kidney stones: Diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and common myths
- Kidney transplant: Preparing for Surgery, Recovery, and How To Stay Healthy
- Kidney transplantation: Benefits, Medication, What to Expect, and More
- Measles: Causes, symptoms, and prevention
- Measles vaccine and its effect on children
- Migraine disorders and headaches
- Multiple myeloma
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: Obsessions, triggers, and treatment
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): Treatments and relapse prevention
- Opioid addiction: Signs, symptoms, and treatment
- Opioid addiction: Treatment and types of medications
- Parkinson's and deep brain stimulation (DBS)
- Perimenopause and perimenopausal depression
- Postpartum Depression
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): History, treatment, and more
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Symptoms, treatment, and more
- Pregnancy tips
- Prostate cancer
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Schizophrenia: Causes, symptoms, risk factors
- Schizophrenia: Symptoms, developments in treatment, and more
- Sickle cell disease: Causes, diagnosis, complications, and more
- Sickle cell disease: Facts and misconceptions you should know
- Skin cancer
- Stroke: Causes, risk factors, treatment, and prevention
- Substance use disorder: Signs, common addictions, and how to get treatment
- Substance use disorder: Treatment, recovery, and common types of addictions
- Tips for traveling abroad in 2022
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
Monkeypox: FAQs for patients
Monkeypox is a viral infection that causes a skin rash. The first symptoms of monkeypox usually include fever, headache, exhaustion, muscle aches, sore throat, cough, and swollen lymph nodes. It is spread through close, personal, often skin-to-skin contact. The first case identified in the United States was reported on May 18, 2022.
Health classes and programs
Our hospitals provide health classes and programs in Boston and the surrounding area. Many of our hospitals list events and programs taking place by date, topic, and location.
- Weight loss surgery
- Newborn care (breastfeeding, infant massage, infant CPR)
- Childbirth (hypnobirthing, planned cesarean, etc.)
- Safety (CPR, babysitting, etc.)
- Wellness (pilates, yoga, etc.)
- Wellness (mediation, acupuncture, etc.)
- Support groups
- Diabetes management
- Hip and knee replacement
- Safety (CPR/AED training, babysitting)
- Weight loss surgery
The Asthma Center provides comprehensive, multidisciplinary care for adults and children with asthma and asthma-related diseases.
It is a collaboration among allergists and pulmonologists at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Mass General Hospital, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, and Newton-Wellesley hospitals, and Salem Hospital.
Physicians, respiratory therapists, nurse educators, and pulmonary function technicians can provide special services for patients with difficult-to-control asthma.
For an appointment, call 1-800-972-7863.
Multiple Sclerosis Center
The Multiple Sclerosis Center, located at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, is a leading institution in the area of multiple sclerosis, providing comprehensive patient care, innovative technology, and ongoing clinical research trials.
Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center
The Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center at Mass General for Children is dedicated to the care of children and adolescents with Multiple Sclerosis and related demyelinating disorders.
Mass General Brigham Sports Medicine is the #1 sports medicine program in New England. Our specialists are world-class, nationally recognized leaders in treating the full spectrum of sports-related injuries and orthopaedic conditions, from common sports injuries to the most complex. Our team is known for excellence in care for high school, collegiate, professional, and recreational athletes. Find patient information about prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation.
If you or someone you know has recently experienced a stroke, we hope you will find the education materials on this site to be helpful during the journey of stroke recovery. The Mass General Brigham Stroke Quality Leaders created these booklets for you to help during your hospitalization or after returning home. Knowledge and understanding are an important part of participating in care and improving the chances of good recovery after a stroke.
What causes a stroke? What are the risk factors for stroke? How does a stroke affect the brain? Natalia S. Rost, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.A.N., F.A.H.A., Chief of the Stroke Division at Massachusetts General Hospital and Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School, discusses how strokes affect the brain and ways people can help prevent strokes.