Request Medical Records
About medical records
Medical records include, but are not limited to a patient’s medical history, test results, office visit notes, discharge summary, and operative reports of treatments and medical services. The Medical Records Department can provide you with copies of your medical records related to care at a facility. Please note: You can contact us by email, mail or fax, or phone (617-726-2361); there are no walk-in services.
Request patient medical records online
You can use Patient Gateway, our secure, online portal for your health information. Your health information is available to view, download, transmit, and print documents.
Once logged in, click on "Messaging" at the top bar and then click "Request Records."
If you are not enrolled in Patient Gateway, simply go to www.patientgateway.org and click on "Enroll Now." Respond to the questions and click "Next" to complete the enrollment process.
Request patient medical records by mail or fax
1. Download the authorization form for the facility from which you are requesting records. If you received care at multiple facilities within Mass General Brigham (formerly Partners HealthCare) and would like your entire medical record, please use the Mass General Brigham/Partners HealthCare authorization form.
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Mass Eye and Ear
- Mass General Brigham (formerly Partners HealthCare)
- McLean Hospital
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- Salem Hospital (formerly North Shore Medical Center)
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
- Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
If you received care at the following hospitals or practices, please visit the respective website for information on how to obtain your medical record:
- Brookside Community Healthcare
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Cooley Dickinson VNA & Hospice
- Martha's Vineyard Hospital
- Mass General Brigham Home Care
- Milford Regional Physician Group
- Nantucket Cottage Hospital
- North Shore Physician's Group
- Southern Jamaica Plain Health Center
- Pentucket Medical Associates
2. Complete the authorization form. Please complete the following required fields properly to process the request:
- Patient’s full name (include maiden name, if applicable)
- Address and telephone number
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Medical Record Number, if available
- Date of service
- Provider name or facility or clinic name requesting records from
Choose method of receipt by clearly indicating the mailing address, fax number, email address or select Patient Gateway, if available, to send the records to
3. Sign and date the completed authorization form.
4. With all required information included, please fax or mail your request to:
Release of Information Fax: 617-726-3661
Mass General Brigham
Release of Information Unit
121 Inner Belt, Room 240
Somerville, MA 02143-4453
Do not e-mail this request. We cannot guarantee security of all Personally Identifiable Information included in the form if submitted via e-mail.
Note: In-person pickup is not available at this time. The medical records offices are closed indefinitely to patient walk-in services effective Thursday March 19, 2020 due to COVID-19.
Additional authorization may also be required for the release of specifically protected or privileged information. Certain information can take up to 30 days for processing.
For Release of Information questions, please call Customer Service at 617-726-2361.
For Audit-related questions, please call 857-282-8730 or fax 617-726-3025.
Patients who are minors
If the patient is a minor or unable to provide consent, the signature of a parent, guardian, or other legal representative is required along with documentation indicating legal authority, if needed.
Fees may be associated with certain types of requests. If applicable, fees are based on state and federal guidelines.
Radiology films and CDs
The Medical Records Department cannot provide radiology films or CDs. For radiology films or CDs, please contact the Radiology Department or facility from which you received services or care.
- Copies of hospital bills
The Medical Records Department is unable to provide birth or death certificates. Please contact the appropriate city/town hall to obtain a copy.
To request copies of medical records of a deceased patient, the request must be accompanied by authorization from the Executor, Executrix, Administrator of the Estate or Personal Representative, along with documentation indicating legal authority.
Request amendment in medical records
Request for amendment in Medical Record
Please complete the following form to make a request to amend your medical record. For more information about requesting an amendment to a medical record, please review to these instructions.
Once complete, the form can be sent to:
HIM Chart Correction Unit
Mass General Brigham
399 Revolution Drive, Suite 970
Somerville, MA 02145
Patient privacy notice
Patient privacy notice
We are required to maintain a complete record of your medical history, current condition, treatment plan, and all diagnosis and treatment given, including the results of all tests, procedures, and therapies. Whether this information is stored in writing, on a computer, or other means, we will keep this information in a safe and secure way that protects your privacy and confidentiality. View our full patient confidentiality and privacy health care notice.