Skip to cookie consent Skip to main content

F-1 Visa

An F-1 student visa is the most common visa type for those who wish to study at an accredited college or university in the United States. You may qualify for F-1 status if you are full-time student at an academic institution in the United States.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) maintains F-1 student information. Your SEVIS record is maintained by an Advisor/Designated School Official (DSO) at the International Office of the university where you study.

F-1 training or working in the U.S.

Your first point of contact for all questions regarding how to maintain your F-1 status and possible training/employment options is the Advisor at your university's International Office.

Always inquire about training or work authorization timelines. 

It is recommended you consider all your training and work authorization options in F-1 status before changing your visa status. 

Your F-1 student visa status will continue while you train/work pursuant to F-1 benefits.

After F-1 training or work authorization ends

  • Each Mass General Brigham hospital department has a designated Administrative Contact who coordinates the department’s visa sponsorship requests

  • Administrative Contacts will act as the liaison with our office to request a change of status

  • Discuss a possible change of status with your supervisor and Administrative Contact seven to eight months before your F-1 work authorization expires

If you are currently in F-1 status and are in the process of changing your status to a Mass General Brigham-sponsored visa, please discuss any international travel plans with your Administrative Contact.