Skip to cookie consent Skip to main content

Maintaining J-1 Student Intern Visa Status

A J-1 student intern visa can be granted to undergraduate students who wish to participate in U.S. internship programs while they are enrolled in a college/university abroad.

Please note that the information on the other Mass General Brigham Office for Global Professionals & Scholars (GPS) webpages, such as the pages with information about J-1 visa application instructions, Social Security numbers, etc., does not apply to J-1 student interns.


To be eligible for the J-1 student intern visa, you must:

  • Be invited by a hospital department or lab, who will serve as the host in the United States

  • Continue enrollment in an undergraduate degree program outside the U.S. for the entire length of the internship

  • Participate in an internship that will fulfill educational objectives contributing to your current degree program

  • Participate in an internship program lasting anywhere from three weeks to 12 months

  • Show evidence of access to funds totaling at least $35,000 ($2,917 per month)

  • Maintain health insurance while in the U.S.

  • Be able to communicate effectively in English while in the lab and in the broader Boston-area community

  • Resume your undergraduate degree program abroad after your U.S. internship has ended

Applying for J-1 student intern visa status

Your U.S. hospital department representative will act as the liaison for any questions you have and will provide you with instructions to log into the International Scholar Dossier (ISD). You will complete an online application using ISD and upload all required documents.

Your U.S. hospital department will send the J-1 student intern request to the GPS. Our office will forward your information to the Harvard International Office. Once a completed application is submitted to the Harvard International Office, your DS-2019 form will be generated, signed, and sent to the intern electronically within approximately two weeks.

Your final visa sponsorship will be granted through the Harvard International Office.

Additional information

After the Form DS-2019 and Form DS-7002 are sent to you, the Harvard International Office will provide you with the following:

  • Information about your visa application
  • Information on applying for a Social Security number 
  • Information on the J-1 two-year home residency requirement
  • Health insurance requirements
  • Harvard identification card
  • J-2 dependent family members’ Forms DS-2019